Trump news today: Ivanka hasn't pled fifth in Jan 6 interview as Elon Musk asked to revoke Twitter ban

Trump news – live: Ex-president faces fierce GOP backlash after endorsing TV’s Dr Oz in Senate race

Mitch McConnell explains why he will still support Donald Trump

Former President Donald Trump has endorsed Dr Mehmet Oz to represent Pennsylvania in the US Senate, angering a number of prominent Republicans.

“I have known Dr. Oz for many years, as have many others, even if only through his very successful television show,” Mr Trump said on Saturday. “He has lived with us through the screen and has always been popular, respected, and smart.”

The announcement outraged many conservatives, including the previous Trump-endorsed candidate for that seat.

“I have enormous respect for President Trump,” tweeted Sean Parnell, who dropped out of the race in November. “But I’m disappointed by this. Oz is the antithesis of everything that made Trump the best president of my lifetime—he’s the farthest thing from America First & he’d be very bad for PA.”

Meanwhile, the US State Department says Donald Trump and other White House officials left office without providing a record of the gifts they received from foreign governments.

And as investigators continue probing the 2021 Capitol riot, one prominent MAGA activist has said he will talk. Ali Alexander, the organizer of several “Stop the Steal” rallies protesting the 2020 election, will cooperate with the Justice Department’s investigation of the January 6 insurrection, his lawyer says.

1649615404

Liz Cheney says Trump knew efforts to overturn election were ‘unlawful’

US Rep Liz Cheney says it is “absolutely clear” that Donald Trump knowingly broke the law with his efforts to overturn the 2020 election.

“I think it is absolutely the case, it is absolutely clear that what President Trump was doing, what a number of people around him were doing, they knew it was unlawful, they did it anyway,” Ms Cheney told CNN on Sunday.

Nathan Place10 April 2022 19:30

1649613604

Conservative backlash grows over Trump’s Dr Oz endorsement

Some of former President Donald Trump’s loudest allies on Twitter are in open revolt after the ex-president endorsed Dr Mehmet Oz in the Pennsylvania US Senate race this weekend.

“Should we win back the Senate, our margins will be far too slim have someone as liberal as Dr Oz sitting as a Republican,” tweeted right-wing commentator John Cardillo. “Romney, Murkowski, and Collins disappoint us enough. We don’t need one more.”

Nathan Place10 April 2022 19:00

1649611804

Trump repeats endorsement of Dr Oz at rally

Former president Donald Trump reiterated his endorsement of Dr Mehmet Oz at his rally in Selma, North Carolina on Sunday night.

“By the way, I endorsed another person today: Dr Oz in Pennsylvania!” Mr Trump told a cheering crowd. “Great guy. Good man. He’s a good man. Harvard educated. Tremendous, tremendous career.”

Dr Oz later posted a clip of the video on his own Twitter feed.

Nathan Place10 April 2022 18:30

1649610004

Dr Oz promotes Trump endorsement with photo composite

Dr Mehmet Oz continued to flaunt his endorsement from Donald Trump on Sunday, celebrating it with a photoshopped image of himself standing with Mr Trump.

“President Trump knows how critical it is to change the kinds of people we send to Washington,” Dr Oz wrote in the caption. “I’m ready to fight and I am proud to receive his endorsement.”

The image of Dr Oz appears to be taken from a video pinned to the top of his Twitter feed, in which Mr Trump is not present.

Nathan Place10 April 2022 18:00

1649608204

Trump declares himself ‘most honest human being’ God ever created

At his rally on Saturday night, Donald Trump declared himself the most honest person in history.

“I’ve got to be the cleanest sheriff,” Mr Trump told the giggling crowd. “I think I’m the most honest human being, perhaps, that God ever created.”

The former president spent much of the evening claiming he won the 2020 presidential election, which he lost.

Nathan Place10 April 2022 17:30

1649606464

Previous Trump-endorsed candidate ‘disappointed’ by Dr Oz endorsement

Sean Parnell has spoken out against Donald Trump’s endorsement of Dr Mehmet Oz for Pennsylvania’s open US Senate seat – the spot Mr Parnell ran for himself, with Mr Trump’s endorsement, before dropping out last November.

On Twitter, Mr Parnell made it clear he does not like his replacement.

“I have enormous respect for President Trump. I was honored to have his endorsement in PA. Twice,” Mr Parnell tweeted. “But I’m disappointed by this. Oz is the antithesis of everything that made Trump the best president of my lifetime—he’s the farthest thing from America First & he’d be very bad for PA.”

Nathan Place10 April 2022 17:01

1649604604

Dr Oz thanks Trump for his endorsement

US Senate candidate Dr. Mehmet Oz has thanked Donald Trump for endorsing him, embracing the former president’s “America First agenda.”

“I am honored to receive President Trump’s full support and endorsement, and I thank him for that,” Dr Oz tweeted on Saturday, just hours after the announcement. “President Trump knows how critical it is to change the kinds of people we send to Washington. I’m ready to bring an America First agenda to the Senate for Pennsylvania.”

Nathan Place10 April 2022 16:30

1649602804

Who is Ali Alexander, the pro-Trump activist cooperating with the Capitol riot investigation?

Ali Alexander, formerly Ali Akbar, has been involved in right-wing politics since the late 2010s, when his live-streamed political rantings began to gain attention on social media.

After Donald Trump lost the 2020 election, Mr Alexander quickly embraced the outgoing president’s quest to overturn it. A few weeks before Congress was scheduled to certify the results, the pro-Trump activist said he had a plan: he and others would organize a protest to put “pressure” on Congress to reject the outcome. Read more here:

Nathan Place10 April 2022 16:00

1649601004

GOP congressman slams Trump’s endorsements

A day after Donald Trump endorsed Dr Mehmet Oz for US Senate, one of the ex-president’s staunchest supporters in Congress denounced his decision.

“This is happening because Trump’s surrounded himself by staff who are on McConnell’s payroll & hostile to the MAGA agenda,” Rep. Mo Brooks, a Republican of Alabama, tweeted. “Everybody telling Trump who to endorse in primaries works for The Swamp. They played him. Again.”

Nathan Place10 April 2022 15:30

1649599204

Madison Cawthorn pulls himself out of wheelchair during Trump rally

“My friends, this country can change very quickly and it may seem impossible; people tell me it’s impossible,” he said before he wheeled up to the lectern and with the help of two aides, propped himself up on metal braces.

“Well, my friends, God spared my life,” he said, speaking of the car accident. “He has given me the strength to stand before you today, so do not lecture me on what is impossible. My fellow patriots, Americans are in the business of doing the impossible because with God, all things are impossible.”

Nathan Place10 April 2022 15:00